Gothic style has been around for centuries, but only recently has it become a mainstream fashion trend. Whether you're looking to unleash your inner goth or simply looking to try some dark fashion trends, this comprehensive guide to gothic style has everything you need to know. Let's look at the history of gothic style, the different types of gothic fashion, and how to create the perfect gothic look!
What is the Gothic Style?
Gothic style is dark and mysterious fashion that is centuries old. It often features heavy fabrics, lots of black, and an overall dark aesthetic. It can range from romantic and Victorian to edgy and punk, and it's often used to make a bold statement. However, gothic style isn't just about fashion. It's also about embracing the darker side of life, finding beauty in the shadows, and not conforming to society's expectations.
History of Gothic Style
The history of gothic fashion is long and interesting. To understand gothic fashion, you need to understand its origin and the influences that created it. Its origins can be traced back to the Middle Ages when the style took inspiration from the era's architecture and art. During this time, fashion adopted a darker aesthetic, with scratchy crape fabrics and somber colors becoming popular. At the heart of gothic fashion are the lifestyle and customs of the Victorian era. Victorian gothic clothing is predominantly black but is often accented with dark hues of purple, deep reds, or greens. Death was ever-present during the Victorian era; therefore, the Victorians viewed death and mourning as a part of everyday life. The Victorians' willingness to embrace death led them to adorn themselves with clothing that expressed their loss, such as wearing black, grey, and other dark colors.
Gothic style made its way into the mainstream with the rise of punk and alternative music. With people starting to revel in the darker parts of life, a more modern gothic fashion emerged in the early 1980s. This ushered in a new era focused on edgier and more daring styles. Dark and rebellious punk aesthetics combined with Victorian romanticism created the gothic fashion of today. Victorian beauty standards of pale skin, tight-laced corsets, and long elegant dresses also influenced the style. Punk gave it the leather jackets, spiky accessories, and dark makeup that's usually associated with it today. Currently, gothic fashion remains popular, with many embracing its dark aesthetic.
Modern Gothic Fashion
Gothic style has evolved over the years and looks very different today than it did in the past. Modern gothic fashion is about embracing the darkness and creating an edgy, punk look with distressed clothing, lots of leather, and dark colors. Spikes, studs, lace, and chains are also frequently used. Whether it's the past or the present, gothic fashion is about daring to be yourself, taking risks, and standing out from the mainstream.
Different Types of Gothic Fashion
Gothic fashion has many different sub-groups that feature their own unique style. A few of the more popular gothic fashion genres seen today are:
- Romantic Goth: This style is characterized by romantic and Victorian elements like lace, velvet, and ruffles.
- Punk Goth: This style embraces the punk aesthetic using distressed clothing, leather, and spikes.
- Cybergoth: This style, inspired by the future, often features sleek silhouettes and bright colors.
- Industrial Goth: This style is inspired by industrial music and often uses a lot of metal, spikes, and chains.
- Steampunk: This style combines the Victorian and Industrial eras with corsets, top hats, and goggles.
Essential Elements of Gothic Style
No matter which type of gothic fashion you choose, there are some essential elements of the style that you should keep in mind. These elements tend to be featured in many gothic sub-groups and are crucial when creating a gothic look.
- Heavy fabrics: Heavy fabrics like velvet and leather are often worn in gothic fashion.
- Lots of black: Black is the most popular color in gothic fashion. It's used to create a dark and mysterious vibe.
- Dark colors: Alongside black, dark colors like purple, red, and brown are also used in the gothic style. They're usually used as accent colors to the primary color, black.
- Layers: Layering is an essential part of gothic fashion. When done correctly, it can create a dramatic and powerful look.
- Accessories: You absolutely can't forget accessories in gothic fashion! Rings, chokers, belts, and corsets adorned with spikes and chains are essential to any gothic outfit.
How to Choose the Right Gothic Style for You
So we've gone over different types of gothic fashion and its essential elements, but how do you choose the right style for you? Finding the right gothic look can be difficult, especially if you're just starting out. To make the process a bit easier, here are some tips to help create the perfect gothic look for you!
- Think about what you want to express: Remember, gothic fashion is about expressing yourself. Think about what you want to say with your clothing and accessories.
- Research different gothic styles: Take the time to research different goth styles to get an idea of what you like. You can start by deeper exploring the style groups listed above.
- Experiment with different looks: Try out different looks to find the one that best fits your style.
- Don't be afraid to be bold: Gothic fashion is all about standing out from the crowd. Don't be scared to go bold with your look!
Tips and Tricks for Creating a Gothic-Style Outfit
Creating a gothic outfit can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be. To get started, here are some tips and tricks for creating a gothic-style outfit:
- Start with basic pieces: Start with basic pieces like black jeans or a black top and then add other items to create the look you want.
- Layer multiple pieces: Layering is essential to creating a dynamic and dimensional look. Layer numerous pieces, like tops or accessories, to create a more dramatic look.
- Add accessories: A gothic outfit isn't complete without the right accessories! Add a spiked choker, a crescent ring, or a studded or chained belt to fully bring your look together.
- Incorporate different textures: Incorporate different textures to add depth to your outfit. Using fabrics like leather, velvet, and lace help add dimension.
- Have fun with it: Don't be afraid to have fun with your look! Experiment with your style and find what works for you!
Where to Find Inspiration for Gothic-Style Outfits
If you need extra help finding inspiration for the perfect gothic look, then today's your lucky day! There are plenty of places online and offline to find some goth inspiration. Here are some of the best places to look:
- Social media: Social media is a great place to find goth-style inspiration. Try looking for influencers with a similar style to the one you want to achieve and get ideas from their posts.
- Fashion magazines: Fashion magazines have always been an excellent source for finding style inspiration. Search for editorials that feature gothic-style clothing and try to find similar pieces to wear.
- Music videos: Music videos are also a great source of gothic-style inspiration, especially if you're looking for inspiration from a specific era and genre. If you want to imitate an era-specific gothic look, find music videos released during that time with gothic-style clothing and accessories.
- Goth events: Goth events are not only great places to meet other people who love gothic fashion, but they're also perfect for finding gothic-style inspiration! Look for events that feature gothic fashion shows or markets.
Gothic Fashion by You
Gothic fashion is ever-changing, but it will always be renowned for its mysterious and dark flair. The style has often been associated with being a bit scary, but that doesn't have to be the case. Depending on how you wear it, it can also be seen as romantic or bohemian. There are various kinds of gothic fashion to choose from, each carrying its unique style.
The key to creating the perfect gothic-style outfit is to pay close attention to all the details. With some research and creative inspiration, you can find the perfect gothic look that fits you! So, are you prepared to explore the world of gothic fashion?